Too all my friends celebrating Rosh Hashanah…
May all your dishes tonight contain honey that is as sweet as your new year!
And if you are still looking for something to bring to your Bubbie’s house:
Orange Hazelnut Honey Cake
Special tools: Mixer, 8 x 4-inch loaf pan
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Keeping kosher: Pareve
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/3 cup hot water
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Small pinch of ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest, orange part only
1/2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan, line it with parchment paper or waxed paper, and grease paper.
2. In a cup, dissolve instant coffee in hot water. Let cool. Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
3. Beat eggs lightly in large bowl of mixer. Add sugar and honey and beat until mixture is very smooth and lightened in color. Gradually add oil and beat until blended. Add orange zest.
4. Stir in flour mixture alternately with coffee, each in two batches. Stir in hazelnuts.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 15 minutes. Turn out onto rack and carefully peel off paper.
6. When cake is completely cool, wrap it tightly in foil and keep it at room temperature. Serve in thin slices.
PS — Don’t forget about The Great Schlep!!!