A friend of mine brought this pie to a party we attended and I couldn’t get enough of it. Since’s it’s Pi Day (3.14), I couldn’t resist sharing this with you too!
The recipe is originally from Kelly Brozyna’s book The Paleo Chocolate Lovers Cookbook and I obtained the recipe from one of my favorite paleo blogs, Nom Nom Paleo. It’s a bit of a PITA (pain in the ass) to make, but it is OH SO WORTH the effort.
Chocolate Pie with Raw Graham Cracker Crust
1 cup (100 g) walnut halves and pieces
¼ cup (about 4) soft, pitted Medjool dates (ALWAYS check your dates for “visitors” on the inside… why? Read this!)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I ground my own!)
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup coconut cream*
½ cup (about 8) soft, pitted Medjool dates
3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
¼ cup melted coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*For the filling, use the cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk. To get it to separate, refrigerate a couple of cans overnight. You can also buy “coconut cream” that is ready to use from Trader Joe’s.
1. To make the crust, in a food processor with an “S” blade, purée the walnuts, dates, cinnamon, and salt for about 20 seconds or until very fine.
2. Transfer the crust mixture to a glass pie dish*, and press it across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
3. Rinse the food processor.
4. In a small saucepan*, heat the coconut cream just slightly.
(*Being lazy, I microwaved it for 45 seconds in a glass measuring cup.)
5. Add the heated coconut cream, dates, chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the food processor, and purée for 1 minute or until the filling is dark and completely smooth.
5. Pour the filling over the crust…
6. Chill to set and store any unused portions in the refrigerator.