Yesterday I posted my recipe for Pan Fried Smelts over a Spinach, Onion and Cucumber Salad. It was delicious. Today I was hungry for lunch and decided to use the leftover smelts in my fridge to throw together some quick and easy fish tacos with homemade tartar sauce. I’m a sucker for tartar sauce… especially if it’s homemade.
You can really use any fish for this recipe. If making from scratch, just season with your choice of spices (I like chipotle lime spice blends, but really anything is fine!) and pan fry in a little coconut oil.
I reheated the smelts in my toaster oven to crisp them up…
While they were heating, I whipped up some homemade tartar sauce.
Homemade Tartar Sauce with Cilantro
2 heaping tablespoons of mayo (I only use Vegenaise)
1 tablespoon of freshly chopped cilantro
1 tsp of fresh lime juice
1-2 tsp chopped spring onion
Cayenne pepper to taste
In a small bowl, mix well. That’s it. 🙂
I only use corn tortillas because they are gluten free. I had some in the fridge, so I warmed them up in a wet paper towel in the microwave for about 20 seconds. You could just as easily use flour tortillas.
While they everything was heating, I put together some condiments. This is where it gets fun! You could use, none or all of these! I recommend getting creative and putting together a bunch of accompaniments that you love!
- I sliced some green cabbage to use as slaw and chopped some cherry tomatoes.
- I took some frozen pineapple chunks from the freezer and defrosted them in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- I had some Wild Tree Chipotle Lime Rub seasoning, which I thought would be good sprinkled on the pineapple. A future blog post to come about this FANTASTIC all natural, GMO free, organic line! I love ALL the products I have tried so far…
- Lastly, I was sent a sample of Mange Mango Vinegar (and a few others)… which is DIVINE. I thought this would be good on the cabbage. I will be writing a future blog post about this product line too… which is produced right here in Somerville, MA!
And so I assembled:
- Corn tortilla
- Some tartar sauce
- Chopped tomatoes and pineapple on top of the fish and tartar sauce
- A little fresh ground salt and pepper
- A sprinkling of the chipotle lime rub
- Sliced cabbage on the side, with a bit of the mango vinegar drizzled on top
Then I ate. And it was good.